|As sequencing instrument capacity is increasing, and the ever-growing range of sequencing applications is demanding expanded sample preparation throughputs, many NGS users are turning to automation. Manual preparation and quantitation of large numbers of libraries can result in a sequencing workflow bottleneck, and automation of these protocols is an important, and increasingly popular, option.
Advantages of automation include:
NEBNext® products are developed with automation in mind:
- Increased throughput
- Improved reproducibility
- Increased speed
- Reduced hands-on time
- Reduced Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI) incidence
NEBNext kits have been automated by multiple automation platform providers, including Beckman Coulter®, Hamilton®, PerkinElmer®, Eppendorf®, Agilent® and Tecan®.
- Fewer components simplify automation setup
- Streamlined workflows minimize tip consumption and chances for pipetting errors
- Less clean-up bead consumption results in a lower cost-per-reaction
- Low input amount capability (ng for DNA/RNA, pg for ChIP) improves sequencing results with less sample
- Robust reagents improve overall library yields
- Sufficient kit component fill volumes for automation protocols improves usability