Like proteins, RNA has four levels of structural organization. The primary structure is the sequence of RNA is the linear order of the nucleotide monomers. As the RNA is synthesized, it forms localized folded structures by base-pairing and stacking interactions that are the result of the interplay between thermodynamics and kinetics. The complexity of the relationship between these two forces results in dynamic structure distributions where multiple forms co-exist (1). Tertiary structure is the overall three-dimensional structure that is the cumulative result of secondary structures. Tertiary structures are also dynamic. Interactions between two or more RNA molecules, such as in the ribosomes and spliceosome, are said to have quaternary structure (2).
- Edited by R. K. Hartman, A. Bindereif, A. Schön, E. Westhof. Handbook of RNA Biochemistry: Student Edition. Weinheim: WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co, 2009, 405-6.
- McKee, Trudy. Biochemistry: The Molecular Basis of Life. 4th ed. New York: Oxford University Press, 2009. 659.
Protocols for RNA Structural Analysis
- A Typical Deadenylation Reaction (M0331)
- Capped RNA Synthesis (E2040)
- Decapping eukaryotic mRNA with RppH (NEB #M0356)
- DNA Template Preparation (E2040)
- Evaluation of Reaction Products (E2040)
- High Specific Activity Radiolabeled RNA Probe Synthesis (E2040)
- Poly(A) Tailing of RNA using E. coli Poly(A) Polymerase (NEB# M0276)
- Protocol for Avoiding Rnase Contamination using Murine Rnase Inhibitor (M0314)
- Purification of Synthesized RNA (E2040)
- Purification of Synthesized RNA (E2070)
- RNA Synthesis Protocols (E2070)
- RNA Synthesis with Modified Nucleotides (E2040)
- Standard RNA Synthesis (E2040)
RNA Polymerase Selection Chart
While NEB develops and validates its products for various applications, the use of this product may require the buyer to obtain additional third party intellectual property rights for certain applications.
For more information about commercial rights, please contact NEB's Global Business Development team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This product is intended for research purposes only. This product is not intended to be used for therapeutic or diagnostic purposes in humans or animals.