Many strategies can be applied to purify proteins; however, a common type of purification is affinity chromatography. This method is often preferred because it can rapidly yield pure recombinant protein in a single chromatography step. In its most typical application, a protein “tag” that has affinity for a specific immobilized substrate is genetically encoded and expressed as a fusion to the target protein. The tagged protein can then be recovered from a complex mixture (such as a cell lysate) by contacting the mixture with a chromatography resin that displays a substrate to which the tag selectively binds. Common tags include polyhistidine (His-tag), maltose binding protein (MBP-tag) and chitin binding domain (CBD-tag).
NEB offers a variety of purification resins and beads, including nickel spin columns (NEB #S1427), nickel magnetic beads (NEB #S1423) and nickel resin (NEB #S1428) to enable rapid purification of His-tagged proteins. Amylose resins for purification of MBP-tagged proteins are available in a variety formats (standard (NEB #E0821), high flow (NEB #E0822) and magnetic (NEB #E8035), as well as Chitin resin (NEB #S6551) for rapid purification of CBD-tagged proteins
- Affinity Purification and On-column Cleavage (NEB #S6651)
- Isolation of MBP-fusion protein using Amylose Magnetic Beads
- Isolation of MBP-fusion protein using Anti-MBP Magnetic Beads
- NEBExpress® Ni Spin Columns Quick Start Protocol (NEB #S1427)
- NEBExpress® Ni Resin Quick Start Protocol (NEB #S1428)
- Quick Start Protocol for NEBExpress® Ni-NTA Magnetic Beads
- Isolation of CBD-fusion protein using Chitin Magnetic Beads
- Protein Expression & Purification Brochure
- Purification Beads, Columns and Resins Brochure
- Purification Beads, Columns and Resins
Products and content are covered by one or more patents, trademarks and/or copyrights owned or controlled by New England Biolabs, Inc (NEB). The use of trademark symbols does not necessarily indicate that the name is trademarked in the country where it is being read; it indicates where the content was originally developed. The use of this product may require the buyer to obtain additional third-party intellectual property rights for certain applications. For more information, please email [email protected].
This product is intended for research purposes only. This product is not intended to be used for therapeutic or diagnostic purposes in humans or animals.